As your loved one begins to age, it may be necessary to make the transition into senior living. With so many options available, choosing the right community can be difficult. Here are a few things to look for in a senior living community to help make the decision a bit easier.
Before you begin looking for a senior living community, it’s best to determine your loved one’s potential service level. Keep in mind that as a senior ages, the necessary level of assistance may increase. Look for communities that can cater to your senior’s current and potential needs. Here’s a brief breakdown of the types of senior living communities to help you navigate the different service options:
- Independent Living is designed for highly independent seniors who require minimal assistance.
- Enhanced Living is a step up from Independent Living, with additional services available.
- Assisted Living provides a safe and licensed environment where staff can administer medication, coordinate with personal healthcare providers and assist with daily activities.
- Memory Care is designed for seniors with memory impairments such as Alzheimer’s or dementia. These communities have specially trained staff to accommodate these impairments.
In addition to senior living services, see what else is offered for seniors. These additional amenities can help you and your loved one make a decision between two similar senior living communities. Amenities to look for include:
- Housekeeping and laundry services
- Transportation services
- Community events, and more.
Tip: Don’t forget to ask about the cost of these amenities. While some communities include these in their monthly costs, others may charge additional fees.
Once you’ve found a few potential communities, take some time to schedule a tour. This gives you and your loved one the opportunity to assess the little details that can really make a community feel like home. Pay close attention to:
- Cleanliness – does the community look and smell clean?
- Staff friendliness – does the staff seem happy and caring?
- Food quality – are the meals diverse and high quality?
Tip: Try to schedule a tour during a community event to see how staff and residents interact.
Learn More With Independence Village
Independence Village offers a variety of senior living services throughout Michigan, Ohio and Indiana. Our apartment-style housing allows your loved one all the privacy and independence of home while providing exceptional services and amenities for all stages of life. Plan a visit of one of our communities or give us a call at 844-40-ENJOY. Our staff would be more than happy to answer any of your senior living questions.